Bosom Buddies volunteers thank all those who understand that our community work relies on local Community support as we do not receive any funding from governments or national cancer or breast cancer organisations.
In recent years, some local Canberra and regionally-based organisations have provided support to Bosom Buddies ACT Inc. for three reasons:
- we are local
- we help many people in this region go through Cancer treatment, and
- because their donation or support can make a big difference to our small organisation.
Local businesses and individuals have assisted Bosom Buddies over the last few years in several ways:
- Supporting organisations help with fundraising by organising an event – often this is a one-off fundraising event.
- Local businesses provide funding support or sponsorship through repeat grants or donations.
- Local businesses provide support in kind by offering goods or services for reduced prices or pro bono.
- Donations from generous individual donors.
If you want to fundraise, support, sponsor or donate – please contact the Bosom Buddies Office.
Join our fundraising champions
Many Canberra businesses and local organisations decide to sponsor events or donated their charity funds to assist Bosom Buddies continue helping local breast cancer patients. These events or fundraising drives sometimes raise $100s but on other occasions they can contribute $1,000 and very rarely up to $10,000.
In 2011-2012 the following helped Bosom Buddies raise funds:
- blue illusion Manuka held a fashion evening once or twice a year with a Nutrimetics representative present. Both donated a percentage from sales.
- CAPA Scrapbooking group has dedicated the funds raised during their retreat to Bosom Buddies over the last few years.
- Club Lime & Club Pink (Greenway) donated funds raised during breast cancer month.
- At Canberra Cavalry’s final home game in early 2012, ActewAGL donated to the local charity that Canberra Cavalry nominated, which was Bosom Buddies ACT Inc. These funds came from a Celebrity Golf Challenge (to promote the ActewAGL Royal Canberra Ladies Classic).
- Capital Edge Community Church, Wanniassa dedicated the funds raised at their annual Pretty in Pink event on Saturday 20 October 2012 to Bosom Buddies.
- Cooleman Court Beauty Centre donated towards a Curves gym fundraiser in October 2011 and again in October 2012.
- CURVES Gyms in five ACT and Qbyn locations organised a major fundraiser in October 2011.
- CURVES Gym at Cooleman Court organised a fashion evening fundraiser in October 2012 for Bosom Buddies.
- Gallagher’s Wines donated some of their exquisite wines for raffle prizes
- Goulburn & District Racing Club Limited chose Bosom Buddies ACT Inc. to receive funds raised during the 2012 “Girls Day Out Raceday”.
- Handmade Markets promoted Bosom Buddies and provided a stall at each of their quarterly weekend markets, which allows Bosom Buddies volunteers to raise funds from donations and raffles held at these stalls.
- Holy Family Primary School held their annual Mother’s Day Breakfast and chose to support Bosom Buddies.
- The India-Australia Association of Canberra selected Bosom Buddies as the charity for October fundraising.
- Kaszazz donated all the cards made at their ACT retreat each year to Bosom Buddies for use in raffles.
- Mont 24-hour Mountain Bike Event supported Bosom Buddies as their charity for their April 2012 event.
- Queanbeyan Racing supported Bosom Buddies with their Mother’s Day Charity Race Day, promoting Bosom Buddies and donating items for raffles. As well, Curves Queanbeyan donated a Membership voucher to the list of raffle items for the Queanbeyan Racing charity day.
- Royal Canberra Ladies Golf Club have raised funds for Bosom Buddies ACT for several years at their charity days.
- The Green Shed selected Bosom Buddies for their charity day in September/October 2012 at their Mugga Lane and Mitchell recycling centres.
- Tuggeranong Netball Association organised a very successful family day of games and dedicated the funds raised to Bosom Buddies.
Our financial supporters
We also wish to thank those businesses and other organisations for providing funds to allow Bosom Buddies to produce materials such as our brochure and shower tags, purchase office equipment and pay for other expenses. So we thank the following:
- Canberra Southern Cross Club for providing grants that help support our operations, and donating the venue for our annual ABC Day Dinner.
- Bendigo Community Bank in our area for a community grant to support our operations two years ago.
- Community CPS for proving funds three times to sponsor the production of Bosom Buddies ACT inc education material in the form of Shower tags.
- Capital Chemist for paying for the print cost of our Newsletters.
- Kwik Kopy for providing printing at cost price for our brochures, flyers and Newsletters
- The Hellenic Club for funding our brochure two years ago that is a key tool to alert patients and families of the support we provide.
Our in-kind supporters
Many businesses have provided in-kind support to Bosom Buddies over the last few years. This support has been much appreciated as it has made a huge difference to our running costs. We thank:
- Bead Street Phillip for donating raffle items such as beanies, broaches, earrings, to Bosom Buddies for fundraising.
- The Brassey for donating the venue and the wonderful festive decorations for our 2012 Christmas in July Dinner.
- Canberra Southern Cross Club for providing a venue and assisting with the audio visual requirements for our ABC Day dinner.
- Clayton-Utz for providing pro-bono legal services when required.
- DeeJay Gosper and her band for providing the musical entertainment for our 2012 Christmas in July Dinner.
- Dream Cuisine Patisserie & Cafe for donating their signature Macarons for sale at a Mother’s Day event, and a Macaron tower for a raffle as well as provided a macaron for each guest at the ABC Day Dinner.
- Gallagher’s Winery for donating wines for raffles and events in 2011 and 2012.
- Grey Canberra for providing us with free design services to rebrand our organisation and set up templates for our print documents.
- Intelledox for providing us with free website hosting and designing our original website up until 2012.
- National Zoo and Aquarium for hosting a breakfast for those undergoing breast cancer treatment and their carers with a tour of the zoo..
- Netball ACT for selecting Bosom Buddies as their local charity. This provides an opportunity for Bosom Buddies volunteers to organise bucket donations at Home Games.
- Peter Funnell Entertainment for providing speakers and entertainers for our ABC Day Dinners in October each year.
- Red Instead for handling our social media marketing, redesigning our website at a discounted fee, providing free website hosting from 2012 onwards, and providing free website maintenance and support from 2009 onwards.
Donations from individuals
In 2011-12 there have been many individuals who chose to donate to Bosom Buddies ACT Inc. The level of donation varies from a small monthly gift to a one-off donation of a few hundred dollars to $10,000.00.
We particularly thank the Pearce Family Trust for making annual donations to Bosom Buddies in 2009, 2010 and 2011.
Additionally, individuals have donated handmade items from beanies to brooches and jewellery to quilts, to be used for sale at a Bosom Buddies Stall or a raffle item.
These donations have been critical to ensuring that Bosom Buddies continues to be a viable organisation.